Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Night I Didn't Join The Beatles


I've never told anyone this story before. But now, after 53 years, I think it is time for the truth to come out.  So here it is, told the very night of one of the most significant Anniversaries in the history of pop culture.

I was in Liverpool during summer of '61 just wandering about the many pubs. This shaggy-haired very young guy stopped me on the street and said "Hey mate, you play the traps?"

"A little" I replied modestly.

"Name's Paul," he said. "If you're telling the truth, the other lads and I could use you, as our regular drummer is sick."

He pulled me into a dank rehearsal hall, and I sat at the kit while he and the other two "lads" tuned up.

"You know 'Twist and Shout'?" Paul asked. I hit the snare and the high hat and away we went. I could tell these guys had real talent--plus all three had the same haircuts.

When we were finished I was covered in sweat and they were all smiling.

"You passed the audition. Play with us tonight and if you're that good we'll fire our drummer and put you in the band."

"Sorry, I have dinner plans," I said. I realized as I left I'd forgotten to ask the name of their group.

Fifty years ago tonight, I watched the Ed Sullivan Show and found out something very unexpected. That's right, that Liverpool band with the funny haircuts I'd tried out for, passed an audition for, and then blew off? They weren't The Beatles.

I don't know who the hell they were. Never found out.  

Good times, though. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment